Wednesday, 5 March 2014

Book Review: The Rabbit and the Raven by Melissa Eskue Ousley(Solas Beir #2)

Darkness is beguiling...and power always comes with a price.

Adopted by loving parents, David Corbin had no idea his life as he knew it was a lie. Then he met a girl. Abby Brown freed David from the spell keeping him from the truth, that he was the lost heir to the throne in a magical realm.

Even though he got the girl and gained a kingdom, David had no clue about the unfathomable power he would inherit, nor did he realize how much he would have to sacrifice to keep the throne.

If there is any hope of winning the war against the deadly Blood Shadows, David and Abby will have to journey to the outer edges of the realm to secure the loyalty of the four Oracles. Along the way, they will learn just how seductive darkness can be.


My Review: 
*I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*

Abby and David seek to bring the people they care about back to the safety of his Kingdom, meaning a dangerous trip through the portal. Upon returning, something more deadly looms. David must go to the four oracles to get their help in standing against the threat of Lucia and Tierney if there is any hope of winning the war.

The book got off to a good start with Marisol and her friends under attack from the shadows and David's group having to come back through the portal to rescue Abby and Jon's families. I liked Marisol in book one and had hoped that she might feature in book two so the opening certainly pleased me. It was also nice to see a few favourites back again like Fergal and Brarn. Overall it was looking as if this book was going to be the same kind of fast paced action as the first one, but it didn't turn out that way I was expecting.

When the group return through the portal to David's Kingdom, the book very much slows down. It becomes focused on scenes where our heroes are training, David is visiting the locals to try to gain their support, trips to the oracles are planned and plans are discussed. There is no real action to speak off until about 150 pages into it which was during the trek to see the oracles. It didn't suit me greatly as I like fast plots and action scenes but I could see the point of the plot being character based to develop them more. The scenes with the oracles were interesting, though I did find it difficult to fully follow the big chase scene where Lucia's troops capture the group. That might just be me though.

But the thing that I didn't like was the continued dream romance sequences between Abby and Tierney which seemed to be never ending through the book. This slowed the book down even more and I struggled a bit to stay connected to the story each time we had the seduction scenes. I just didn't enjoy that plot at all and it turned me off and made me start to dislike Abby a bit, which was a pity, as I had really liked her until then. Her betraying David and having feelings for the psycho bad guy was not what I expected or wanted in my heroine and it really put me off.

The book again is very well written with just the right amount of description and avoiding those dreadful info dumps which can ruin so many fantasy stories. There is no doubt that the author is very good at telling her story and developing her characters so that you care what happens to them. This is still a decent read though I certainly enjoyed the first book more, and I will still be interested in what happens in book three.  
star rating photo: Three Star Rating 3stars.png

2 comments:

  1. I"m not sure I confess, it's intriguing but I didn't know it was a book 2. I don't remember book 1, I'll have to check this out. I hope book 3 will be better too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah book one is called The Sign of the Throne and I gave it 4 stars as I really enjoyed it.

      Delete