Thursday, 13 March 2014

Book Review: One foot in the grave by Jeaniene Frost(Night Huntress #2)

You can run from the grave, but you can’t hide…

Half-vampire Cat Crawfield is now Special Agent Cat Crawfield, working for the government to rid the world of the rogue undead. She’s still using everything Bones, her sexy and dangerous ex, taught her, but when Cat is targeted for assassination, the only man who can help her is the vampire she left behind.

Being around Bones awakens all her emotions, from the adrenaline rush of slaying vamps side by side to the reckless passion that consumed them. But a price on her head—wanted: dead or half-alive—means her survival depends on teaming up with Bones. And no matter how hard Cat tries to keep things professional between them, she’ll find that desire lasts forever…and Bones won’t let her get away again. 


My Review: 
Four years after running out on Bones, Cat is head of a special forces unit that kills rogue vampires. A run in with Ian leaves her sparing his life only because of Bones until she becomes a target for an assassin. When her path crosses Bones at a wedding, Cat will have to rely on his help to save her and her team as they hunt the assassin and whoever set up the hit.

Ah so great to return to Bonesville! I forgot how much I loved book one until I read this one and got caught up in the story again. Seriously Cat without Bones is like me without chocolate! Unthinkable!

So what were the good things? Cat's new team are full of different personalities and I really liked them and Don. It gave a new dimension to Cat's character, having her in charge of vampire hunters. I like the fact that 4 years have passed and she has toughened up and become self sufficient. Loved having Bones back again, of course. I can't get enough of his snarky humour. He is definitely my ideal vampire, kind of like Spike from Buffy and Angel. The bitch-fight with Annette was so funny! You pull her hair Cat!!! The good thing about this writer is that you even find the bad guys appealing-like Annette and Ian in this book. When 'bad guys' or anti-heroes are well written, they add so much more to the plot. This series is very much about developing a range of characters that you can easily connect with and care about. Cat discovering the truth about her father was good. Wanting to punch Tate for not getting it through his thick skull that Cat loves Bones. Ian's fight night with scary ass monsters thrown in. The plot. Everything!

Peeves? Well none actually. What was there not to like? It had everything that you expect in a fast paced urban fantasy thriller with amazing characters, humour, fight scenes, monsters and plenty sex to keep the PNR crowd more than happy. The chemistry between Cat is Bones is for me the best written love affair in urban fantasy books.

The ironic thing is that I'm not a fan of books with lots of sex in it as I feel it takes away from the fast paced action plots that I enjoy-but in this series, everything is so well written that even I can't complain. There is an infamous sex scene in this book that might shock the hell out of some readers so be warned! I wasn't outraged or horrified by it as some readers were coz I was too busy laughing at the thought of Annette listening in!

The author does an excellent job of telling the story and pulling you along for the ride. My favourite urban fantasy series so far in my reading career!
star rating photo: 5 Star Rating 5stars.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment