Tuesday, 11 March 2014

Book Review: Moon Called by Patricia Briggs(Mercy Thompson #1)

Mercedes "Mercy" Thompson is a talented Volkswagen mechanic living in the Tri-Cities area of Washington. She also happens to be a walker, a magical being with the power to shift into a coyote at will. Mercy's next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a bus for a vampire. This is the world of Mercy Thompson, one that looks a lot like ours but is populated by those things that go bump in the night. And Mercy's connection to those things is about to get her into some serious hot water...

My Review: 
Mercy is a mechanic who happens to be a coyote shapeshifter.She lives beside the house of Alpha werewolf Adam and his daughter. Life is normal other than winding Adam up, until she witnesses a brutal attack on a kid she is employing at the garage. Then Adam is badly injured in a wolf attack at his house and his daughter is kidnapped. Mercy has to save Adam and help the pack find the missing girl.
 
It is the characters that really make the book. Mercy is a great character because she isn't superhuman despite her coyote alter ego, and she has a job and lives a simple life, until the chaos begins. She is very likeable, vulnerable and funny, and is just the kind of heroine I like to see in urban fantasy. Adam is a great wolf character, the tough Alpha werewolf who tolerates Mercy and loves his daughter more than anything, which gives him more depth than just ruling a pack. Mercy's past is explored through the second werewolf pack that she turns to for help-Bran, the Alpha that took her in and brought her up, and her first love, his son Samuel, who she still has conflicted feelings for. Warren was my favourite amongst the werewolves. He seems such a nice guy and you can't imagine him being tough enough to take on werewolf politics and fighting for position. I also loved the quirky vampire Stefan. Liking all these characters got me really connected to the story and I zoomed through it.

Now I HATE love triangles in books. I rant about them detracting from the plot and never working well. In this book I stand corrected. You can see that Adam and Samuel both want Mercy and she has genuine feelings for both but it never takes away from the action plot. While I am Team Adam, I do love Samuel so I was very much caught up in this developing side plot.  

There was a great mixture of humour, drama and action throughout the book so there was always something happening to keep me interested. I was particularly amused by the note that Adam left for Mercy, telling her that she was to keep her cat off his property or he was going to eat it. As a person who is forever chasing cats out of my garden, I was on Adam's side! Eat the furball! The action scenes are well written with plenty of tense moments to grab you, and the storytelling is very well crafted.

Moon Called is full of everything I look for in a good UF book and I recommend it for fans of urban fantasy and paranormal romance who prefer action based plots instead of just romance. 
star rating photo: 5 Star Rating 5stars.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment