Wednesday, 12 March 2014

Book Review: Industrial Magic by Kelley Armstrong(WOTO #4)

Meet the smart, sexy—supernatural—women of the otherworld. This is not your mother’s coven…

Kelley Armstrong returns with the eagerly awaited follow–up to Dime Store Magic. Paige Winterbourne, a headstrong young woman haunted by a dark legacy, is now put to the ultimate test as she fights to save innocents from the most insidious evil of all…

In the aftermath of her mother’s murder, Paige broke with the elite, ultraconservative American Coven of Witches. Now her goal is to start a new Coven for a new generation. But while Paige pitches her vision to uptight thirty–something witches in business suits, a more urgent matter commands her attention.

Someone is murdering the teenage offspring of the underworld’s most influential Cabals—a circle of families that makes the mob look like amateurs. And none is more powerful than the Cortez Cabal, a faction Paige is intimately acquainted with. Lucas Cortez, the rebel son and unwilling heir, is none other than her boyfriend. But love isn’t blind, and Paige has her eyes wide open as she is drawn into a hunt for an unnatural–born killer. Pitted against shamans, demons, and goons, it’s a battle chilling enough to make a wild young woman grow up in a hurry. If she gets the chance.


My Review: 
Paige has been dumped by her coven and decides to start a new coven for modern witches.But that plan is on hold when she hears that the teenage offspring of the magical underworld mafia family-The Cabals-are being murdered.And her boyfriend Lucas is the son of the most powerful family in the Cabal families who wants nothing to do with family business. Paige however wants to stop these kids being killed and agrees to help despite his objections. However, they soon find themselves needing a whole lot of help from their supernatural friends plus a run in with Savannah's dead mother is on the cards...

I love this series and this book was no exception. The cover art is beautiful, the characters are well written and the plot is interesting. Savannah is much improved from book 3 I'm glad to say because she was driving me crazy with her childish tantrums. Paige has also lost that whiny touch that was getting on my nerves and Lucas has more backbone this time round. This made a huge difference to the book from the disappointment of book three. There are others reasons why this is a great book and it includes the new character of clairvoyant Jaime Vegas-quirky and fun and a wee bit crazy. To finish the fun we see the werewolf pack coming to help again (yea! More Jeremy!) And interestingly, we get to meet Eve, the dead mother of Savannah, which nicely sets up a future book. I wish we got to see more of Adam and Cassandra who have been vastly underused in the series.

There is a good mixture of humour especially when Clay loses patience with the girls. The romance between Paige and Lucas is a lot more believable than in Dime Store Magic, and I very much enjoyed Jaime's massive crush on Jeremy. I'm right there with you Jaime! There is also an action packed plot to enjoy with the murders of the Cabal kids mixed in with the Cabal politics and supernatural elements. I also like the exploration of Lucas and his father's difficult relationship. There is so much to enjoy in this novel especially if you want to see characters developing and becoming stronger as Paige does. And the werewolves, don't forget the werewolves! The story twists and turns throughout, leaving you wondering what could possibly happen next. I love this in a book and I was surprised by how much I liked the book. I was not a huge fan of these characters in the last book so this book has redeemed them in my eyes!

Recommended to fans of urban fantasy, paranormal romance, dark fantasy and paranormal books especially if you love strong female characters. 
 
star rating photo: 5 Star Rating 5stars.jpg

6 comments:

  1. I need to get to this series. I read the last three books and need to get to the beginning now to follow all the ladies. :) So glad to see you loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've read the last three? Oh I couldn't do that! I'm obsessive about getting book one and following it right through!

      Delete
    2. I'm very much one to read a series in order, usually. The publicist said it was doable. And it was, with the way the series jumps from woman to woman. The last three are of one in particular and really made me curious with the drops of all the other ladies. I want to see how they all got to be who they were then.

      Delete
    3. Yeah most of these series are good about bringing the readers up to speed on the important stuff. I want to get the rest of the series read but I don't like Savannah much which might be an issue! Still to read 9-13.

      Delete
    4. The Savannah main character books are the ones I read. I think she learns a lot about herself in those books. But I'm curious to see her as a child. And all the ladies in this world. :)

      Delete
    5. I got started on Living with the Dead last night but I'm not greatly impressed with it so far. Hope the rest of the series is better!

      Delete