Sunday, 9 March 2014

Book Review: Dime Store Magic by Kelley Armstrong(WOTO #3)

Paige Winterbourne was always either too young or too rebellious to succeed her mother as leader of one of the world's most powerful elite organizations- the American Coven of Witches. Now that she is twenty-three and her mother is dead, the Elders can no longer deny her. But even Paige's wildest antics can't hold a candle to those of her new charge- an orphan who is all too willing to use her budding powers for evil... and evil is all too willing to claim her. For this girl is being pursued by a dark faction of the supernatural underworld. They are a vicious group who will do anything to woo the young, malleable, and extremely powerful neophyte, including commit murder- and frame Paige for the crime. It's an initiation into adulthood, womanhood, and the brutal side of magic that Paige will have to do everything within her power to make sure they both survive.

My Review: 
I've read a few books in the series(not always in order!) and this is the first one that I thought was a let down.

Paige is looking after Savannah who is proving to be a real handful-wild, rude and not accepting her authority. When a custody suit is filed on behalf of her father, Savannah's future looks uncertain. Certain elements are determined to get Paige out of the way legally by making her appear to be an unfit parent, a witch and a murderer. So when a lawyer turns up offering to help her fight the case, Paige is untrusting of his motives but has little choice but to work with him.

The actual story was good enough-Paige struggling to step into Ruth's shoes and be taken seriously by the Coven, trying to live up to Elena who Savannah hero-worships and trying to communicate with a girl who won't respond to her. Bringing in the dark forces that want to harness Savannah's power and the Cabals...well it should have worked really well, but for me it didn't.

I liked Paige in book 2 for the most part, so it wasn't a problem with the story switching over from the werewolves-it just wasn't a good book in my opinion. In this book Paige is whiny and irritating and annoying. I got so tired of her continual 'I don't trust you' conversations with Lucas. Yes ok Paige, you don't trust him, we get it, but do we need to hear about it every five minutes? This bit of plot was getting on my nerves all the way through the book. It seemed to be getting battered into our heads with a damn sledgehammer just in case we missed it the first 500 times.

Savannah is a spoilt, rude, selfish, unpleasant little brat who needs a damn good slap to get some manners into her. Paige honey, I'd have given the ungrateful brat to the Coven and walked away! The little madam showed no gratitude for anything Paige did for her, and the fact that Paige is keeping her safe from her supernatural father and other dangerous elements doesn't matter a jot to Savannah. Then when it all goes wrong, she expects Paige to come and help her. I hate Savannah! The Coven themselves were just annoying and boring and added little to the story.

But what really surprised me was the lack of any chemistry between our lovers was surprising given how good the next book in the series is. I just didn't feel that there was any spark at all between them and it left me cold. I don't generally care about romance in urban fantasy books but if it is there I want it to feel real.

This was just a poor book on so many levels but don't give up on the series if you don't enjoy this, as it is a blip in an otherwise great series at least up to book 10 which I haven't read yet. The same characters appear in Industrial Magic as in this one but it is a much better book in every way.
star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I just finished Bitten last week! Got this one waiting for me to! But first I am going to read Stolen!

    Irene @ http://icequeensbookshelf.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE the books with the werewolves as the main interest! Hope you like Stolen as much as I did!

      Delete