Monday, 3 March 2014

Book Review: Confessions of a Demon by Susan Wright

After accidentally stealing the life force of a dying demon, Allay became the only human-demon hybrid in existence. Demons feed on human emotions, so Allay decided the safest way to satisfy this need-and still retain some semblance of her humanity-was to open a bar. Here she can drink from, and ease, her patrons' pain, which has helped her to stay under the demon radar...until now.

When Allay is attacked and nearly killed by another demon, a human comes to her rescue. Theo Ram is tall, handsome, and mortal-and Allay feels a connection to him she didn't think she'd ever know. But that bond is tested when the demon community in New York begins to rise up, and two opposing clans fight for power. Now Allay is caught in the middle, and she must decide where her loyalties lie.


My Review:
Allay accidently takes the life force from a dying demon and becomes a hybrid, hiding in her bar and 'drinking' the emotions of her customers to ease their pain and feed herself. But now the demons have become aware of her existance and are attacking her and the bar and Allay doesn't know who to trust.

I liked the idea of her having the bar so she can absorb the excess emotions of the customers. Doing this feeds her and also can help the customers to feel a bit better so she is providing a service of sorts. The new twist was that existing demons can overdose on emotions and it causes them to give birth to new demons, leaving both vulnerable to attack and bringing trouble to the bar, which was quite clever. Each demon can feed off all emotions but usually have a favourite 'flavour' ie bliss, shock etc, a bit like humans and ice cream! The concept was interesting but the delivery however, could have been better for me.

Allay was a cold character who keeps most people at a distance and while I understood doing this for plot purposes, it does not help you to bond with her or like her. I didn't really bother that much about her one way or the other which never bodes well for me enjoying a book. None of the other characters really appealed too much to me either. I'm not a fan of this 'hello, nice to meet you, I love you loads' thing that keeps spoiling a lot of urban fantasy books. I expect this kind of thing in my YA books but don't like it much in UF unless it is well delivered. In this case I found no chemistry in the relationship.

The book also got off to a slow start which is something else that I don't enjoy in a book. I like to get straight into the story instead of drifting along for a while. I also found the way the demon attacks were written to be a bit repetitive. IT felt a bit like here we go again every time the demons came back.

This book had potential but I just didn't feel as if it grabbed me enough to want to keep reading it.


star rating photo: Two Star Rating 2stars.png

2 comments:

  1. Oh bummer. Sorry it didn't seem to work for you. Shame. It does sound like a neat setup idea and love the cover too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's a bummer when you look forward to reading something and it just doesn't deliver the way you hoped!

      Delete