Friday, 21 March 2014

Book Review: Broken by Kelley Armstrong(WOTO #6)

When half-demon Xavier calls in the favour Elena owes him, it seems easy enough, steal Jack the Ripper's 'From Hell' letter away from a Toronto collector who had himself stolen it from the Ripper evidence boxes. But nothing in the supernatural world is ever as simple as it seems. Elena accidentally triggers a spell placed on the letter, and opens a dimensional portal into Victorian London, releasing zombies, disease, and maybe a notorious serial killer himself.

My Review:  
Yea the werewolves are back! I love the pack and was looking forward to another adventure with them. In this story, the pack are asked to do a robbery to steal papers written by Jack the Ripper from a collector. Unfortunately, they open a portal which releases Jack from the letter along with a few zombies and a host of dangerous diseases, while causing local people to vanish into the portal. Jeremy is determined to be responsible for clearing up the mess but he and Clay also have Elena's pregnancy to worry about. Then the arrival of Jaime Vegas further complicates matters...

I've read a few reviews of the book that thought the plot was a bit pointless but I personally enjoyed this. Unkillable zombies are always fun to read and having Jack the Ripper was an added bonus. You have a bit of history, countless evil things to kill and a big mystery to solve, all in one book. What's not to like! There is something evil happening every minute so the book rolls along at a great pace from start to finish and there are lots of different plot elements to enjoy.

It was nice to see Jaime back and still unable to act like a normal human being every time she has contact with Jeremy! Ah we have all acted like a prat in front of someone we are attracted to though when Jaime screws up it is pretty spectacular! She just can't seem to pull herself together when she sees him, poor girl! I just want to see her and Jeremy get together!

The pregnancy story is a good side issue as we get to see different sides of the pack members, especially Clay who is a much nicer character now. His worry about the trouble Elena is attracting and the health of her and his offspring show a different Clay from just the cold killer, which was good. It also leaves Elena feeling vulnerable because she can't protect herself or fight as she usually does and she has to rely on the men to help her, which an independent female does not enjoy. She is also fearing for the safety of her offspring as evil seems to be coming for her personally. I found it quite amusing to see Clay and Jeremy fussing over Elena like a pair of old women and getting all involved in baby stuff! This added humour in with the dark elements of the book.

I did think it was pretty obvious that they shouldn't trust their new friend-or maybe I'm just the kind of cynical person who automatically suspects trouble all the time! Either way, I saw it coming a mile off but I still really enjoyed the big showdown scenes near the end. It had the tension that I always enjoy in this series. And now I'm really looking forward to the next book which features Jaime and Jeremy. 
star rating photo: 5 Star Rating 5stars.jpg

1 comment:

  1. While I love the whole series, the books from Elena her point of view are still my favourite! I have to say I liked the plot of this book a bit less than others, I am not a big fan of zombies and thought the explanation behind them was a bit confusing. I did enjoy the rest of the book though and it's always fun to read about Elena and Clay.
    Have you read this series already once or is this your first time reading these books? I really enjoyed Jaime and Jeremy their book as well (sorry I forgot the title) and I hope you enjoy it :).

    ReplyDelete