Saturday, 8 March 2014

Book Review: Blood Song by Cat Adams

Bodyguard Celia Graves has definitely accepted her share of weird assignments, both human and supernatural. But her newest job takes the cake. Guarding a prince from terrorists and religious fundamentalists is hard enough, but it seems like the entire supernatural world is after this guy too. When she is betrayed by those she is employed to help, and everything goes horribly wrong, Celia wakes to find herself transformed.

Neither human nor vampire, Celia has become an abomination-something that should not exist-and now both human and supernatural alike want her dead. With the help of a few loyal friends-a sexy mage, a powerful werewolf, and a psychic cop-Celia does her best to stay alive. On the run from her enemies, Celia must try to discover who is behind her transformation . . . before it's too late.


My Review:
I did quite like this one. The main character is interesting, the story keeps moving along at a reasonable speed-it was a decent read. The story was told well enough and there were a few really good sequences. I liked the opening of the book with Celia having a pretty bad night. It was exciting and tension was in the air because you knew that bad things were coming. I also quite liked her visits to the clinic because you learned a lot about this character through her interactions with the people there. There were some interesting moments.

However it didn't grab me the way I had hoped when I started it.

First problem were the bad guys. They just didn't seem to be that interesting to me-no real menace or personality to them. When they appeared on page it was a case of 'hmmm, it's these guys again'. They appeared, they were chased away and didn't exactly inspire terror or horror in me. I like bad guys to be a bit more interesting.

The potential love interests weren't that exciting either. I was bored by them and wanted the story to move past them. They felt a bit like cardboard cutouts and I don't feel that they really added anything to the story. I didn't feel any chemistry with them and CElia and the plot could have done with a few less characters anyway. I just didn't really care enough about these side characters to really get into the book. At one point, I felt the author was trying to shove in too many characters and none of them were really developed because of that ie the scene in her office with the office manager, the police, the ex-boyfriend, the lawyer, her mother, Vicki's mother etc....plus all the supernatural characters, Vicki's girlfriend, the werewolf potential love interest and his family members, the sirens, the staff at the residential institute, her friends and family members...it was just too much pointless stuff. The book was so crowded that you were left trying to remember who everyone was and what they were doing and who they were related to/sleeping with. Having to keep flicking back to remind myself was not ideal and it was part of the reason that I never fully connected with the story.

Give the book a try though. It was a decent urban fantasy read but not enough for me to continue with the series. From the ending it was clear that the cast of characters would swell in the next book and that did not appeal to me. If you like urban fantasy, paranormal romance or dark fantasy then you might like this.


star rating photo: Three Star Rating 3stars.png

No comments:

Post a Comment